Thanks for taking the time to read this. I’m writing following England’s Six Nations victory over Italy, the day after Wasps beat Bath at home. Some random thoughts below.
- Not quite sure how they’ve done it, but despite being well below their best for large parts of the last two games, Wasps have got ten points on the board in February and scored eleven tries. I love it, because there’s been plenty of games where the opposite has happened this season, such as Exeter and Harlequins at home. Wasps have always had the ability to score quickly and the endings to the last two matches have been something else. Certainly bodes well for the games coming up.
- There’s some healthy selection decisions for Lee Blackett to consider next week. I’m fascinated to see what the backline is going to be against Harlequins, with Jacob Umaga back from suspension, Ali Crossdale available, Ryan Mills impressing off the bench and potentially Zach Kibirige returning from injury. I’m no betting man, but my money is on Umaga slotting in at 15, and Mills coming in at 13 if Sam Spink hasn’t recovered from his head knock. Be interested to know what you think?
- Transfers. It was pleasing to read that Wasps have pretty much sorted their incomings for next season, and this week they have been announcing a number of younger players who have committed their futures to Wasps. The position I’m most intrigued by is what they do with the 13 jersey. I think Sam Spink has been brilliant and Paolo Odogwu can obviously play with distinction there but I suspect Wasps will want another option bought in for next season with Malakai Fekitoa off. There’s been a bit of talk of Piers O’Connor returning, who I note is currently playing more at 12 for Bristol. Tell you who I’d like – Ollie Lawrence from Worcester. Think he would suit Wasps perfectly and I believe his good mates with a few of the lads. Wishful thinking on my part I’m sure. Where do you think Wasps will be targeting, recruitment wise?
- It was great to read today that Jack Willis is expected back in the next month. I can’t imagine the emotional impact his injury has had on him and I really hope I can make it to whatever game marks his return. He’ll be getting a warm reception from both sets of fans wherever it is, I would expect. It’ll be a great day for his family when he trots back out, with Tom Willis due back this week too I believe.
- Final one. You need to name an all stars team of present players, which must have a player from each premiership team, and two from overseas, to take on all comers. Who are you picking? This is my selection below:
- Props – Rory Sutherland (Worcester), Steven Kitshoff (Stormers)
- Hooker – Julian Montoya (Leicester)
- Second Rows – David Ribbans (Northampton), Maro Itoje (Saracens)
- Flankers – Alfie Barbeary (Wasps), Ardie Savea (Hurricanes)
- No 8 – Ruan Ackerman (Gloucester)
- Scrum Half – Ben Spencer (Bath)
- Fly Half – Marcus Smith (Harlequins)
- Centres – Manu Tuilagi (Sale), Semi Radradra (Bristol)
- Wingers – Adam Radwan (Newcastle), Ollie Hassell-Collins (London Irish)
- Full back – Stuart Hogg (Exeter)
Have a good week!